Why Us

Established in 2002, Migration Expert is a private immigration company with a team of highly experienced migration attorneys, lawyers and specialists who represent clients from across the globe wishing to apply for a US visa. Migration Expert provides fee-based services in addition to the official government charges to advise, assist and represent our clients through the often-complex visa application process. All decisions for granting of a visa remain with the US Government subject to lodging a valid application using the free forms available on the Government website and meeting the relevant criteria. Migration Expert is not affiliated with the US Government and act independent in the interests of our clients.

J-1 Visa for Specialists

J-1 Visa for Specialists

A J1 visa is a temporary exchange visa that entitles experts in a field to observe, consult or demonstrate their specialist skills with their counterparts in the US. Typically this visa is used by experts and specialists to exchange ideas with and assist government agencies, scientific institutions, museums and other organizations.

J1 Visa Requirements for Specialists

To qualify for a J1 visa as a specialist, the applicant must demonstrate expertise in a field of specialized knowledge and be sponsored by an approved organization facilitating the exchange visit. Applicants may be required to satisfy additional requirements to obtain sponsorship by an approved organization in the US.

J1 visa applicants may be required to meet certain health and character requirements.

J1 Visa Entitlements for Specialists

A J1 visa entitles the holder to observe, consult or demonstrate specific skills in the US for a sponsoring organization. A J1 visa is usually granted for the duration of the sponsorship (typically one year) and extensions are not required for as long as the visa holder continues to provide specialized knowledge for their sponsor.

Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for the applicable derivative visa (J2 visa) to join their spouse or parent in the US. Accompanying spouses and children are entitled to study in the US and may undertake employment with an approved employment authorization.

To see a full listing of our fees and services, Specialist Visa (J-1) processing times and application costs please visit our FAQ page.