Why Us

Established in 2002, Migration Expert is a private immigration company with a team of highly experienced migration attorneys, lawyers and specialists who represent clients from across the globe wishing to apply for a US visa. Migration Expert provides fee-based services in addition to the official government charges to advise, assist and represent our clients through the often-complex visa application process. All decisions for granting of a visa remain with the US Government subject to lodging a valid application using the free forms available on the Government website and meeting the relevant criteria. Migration Expert is not affiliated with the US Government and act independent in the interests of our clients.

J-1 Visa for Short-Term Scholars

J-1 Visa for Short-Term Scholars

A J1 visa for Short-Term Scholars is a temporary exchange visitor visa that allows foreign professors and research scholars to lecture, observe, consult or demonstrate at accredited academic institutions, research facilities, museums, libraries and similar institutions in the US.

J1 Visa Requirements for Short-Term Scholars

To qualify for a J1 visa as a short-term scholar in the US, the applicant must be accepted to participate in a certified short-term scholar exchange program in the US.

To participate in a short-term scholar exchange program, the applicant must be a professor, research scholar or individual with similar education and experience and meet the sponsoring organization's specific requirements.

J1 visa applicants may also be required to meet certain health and character requirements.

J1 Visa Entitlements for Short-Term Scholars

A J1 visa entitles the holder to participate in a Short-Term Scholar exchange program with a US sponsoring organization. A J1 visa for a Short-Term Scholar exchange is usually granted for a maximum of 6 months and extensions cannot be granted.

Spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for the applicable derivative visa (J2 visa) to join their spouse or parent in the US. Accompanying spouses and children are entitled to study in the United States and may undertake employment with an approved employment authorization.

To see a full listing of our fees and services, Short-term Scholar Visa (J-1) processing times and application costs please visit our FAQ page.