Why Us

Established in 2002, Migration Expert is a private immigration company with a team of highly experienced migration attorneys, lawyers and specialists who represent clients from across the globe wishing to apply for a US visa. Migration Expert provides fee-based services in addition to the official government charges to advise, assist and represent our clients through the often-complex visa application process. All decisions for granting of a visa remain with the US Government subject to lodging a valid application using the free forms available on the Government website and meeting the relevant criteria. Migration Expert is not affiliated with the US Government and act independent in the interests of our clients.

J-1 Visa for Professors

J-1 Visa for Professors

A J1 visa for Professors is a temporary exchange visitor visa that provides professors the opportunity to teach, lecture or conduct at accredited academic institutions, museums or libraries in the US.

J1 Visa Requirements for Professors

To qualify for a J1 visa as a professor in the US, the applicant must be accepted to participate in a certified professor exchange program in the US.

To participate in a professor exchange program, the applicant must be a professor in a foreign country, have proficient English language skills and have obtained a PhD or the highest degree possible in their area of expertise. Applicants may also be required to meet the sponsoring organization's specific program requirements.

Furthermore, the applicant must not be a candidate for a tenure track position or have completed a professor exchange program in the 24 months preceding the start of the new program. Applicants who have held a J1 visa during the 12 month period preceding the start of the professor exchange program may not be eligible. However there are some exceptions to this requirement.

J1 visa applicants may also be required to meet certain health and character requirements.

J1 Visa Entitlements for Professors

A J1 visa entitles the holder to participate in a Professor exchange program with a US sponsoring institution. A J1 visa for a Professor exchange is usually granted for a maximum of 3 years and extensions may be granted to complete a specific research activity.

Spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for the applicable derivative visa (J2 visa) to join their spouse or parent in the US. Accompanying spouses and children are entitled to study in the United States and may undertake employment with an approved employment authorization.

To see a full listing of our fees and services, Professor Visa (J-1) processing times and application costs please visit our FAQ page.