Why Us

Established in 2002, Migration Expert is a private immigration company with a team of highly experienced migration attorneys, lawyers and specialists who represent clients from across the globe wishing to apply for a US visa. Migration Expert provides fee-based services in addition to the official government charges to advise, assist and represent our clients through the often-complex visa application process. All decisions for granting of a visa remain with the US Government subject to lodging a valid application using the free forms available on the Government website and meeting the relevant criteria. Migration Expert is not affiliated with the US Government and act independent in the interests of our clients.

J-1 Visa for Interns

J-1 Visa for Interns

A J1 visa for interns is a temporary exchange visa that permits foreign post-secondary students and recent graduates to participate in an internship with a US organization.

J1 Visa Requirements for Interns

To qualify for a J1 visa for interns, the applicant must be sponsored to participate in an approved intern program. To participate in an intern program, the applicant must be a post-secondary school student or have graduated from post-secondary school within the previous 12 months. Internships are available in a range of fields, including:

  • Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing;
  • Arts and Culture;
  • Building and Construction;
  • Education, Social Science, Library Science, Counseling and Social Services;
  • Health related occupations;
  • Hospitality and Tourism;
  • Information Media and Communications;
  • Management, Business, Commerce and Finance;
  • Public Administration and Law;
  • Science, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Industrial occupations.

J1 visa applicants may be required to meet certain health and character requirements.

J1 Visa Entitlements for Interns

A J1 visa entitles the holder to participate in an Intern Program with a sponsoring organization in the US. A J1 visa for an Intern is usually granted for the duration of the approved program (typically up to one year) and extensions are not required for as long as the visa holder continues to participate in the intern program.

Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for the applicable derivative visa (J2 visa) to join their spouse or parent in the US. Accompanying spouses and children are entitled to study in the US and may undertake employment with an approved employment authorization.

The US Trainee visa program comprises a range of temporary, non immigrant visas that permit trainees to come to the US to participate in structured training programs with US corporations and organizations in their field of interest or expertise.

To see a full listing of our fees and services, Intern Visa (J-1) processing times and application costs please visit our FAQ page.