Why Us

Established in 2002, Migration Expert is a private immigration company with a team of highly experienced migration attorneys, lawyers and specialists who represent clients from across the globe wishing to apply for a US visa. Migration Expert provides fee-based services in addition to the official government charges to advise, assist and represent our clients through the often-complex visa application process. All decisions for granting of a visa remain with the US Government subject to lodging a valid application using the free forms available on the Government website and meeting the relevant criteria. Migration Expert is not affiliated with the US Government and act independent in the interests of our clients.

M-1 Visa for Vocational Studies

M-1 Visa for Vocational Studies

An M1 visa is a temporary student visa that allows international students to attend an accredited vocational or non-academic school, such as a trade school or practical training school.

International students wishing to enroll in academic study or English language studies may be able to apply for an F1 Visa.

M1 Visa Requirements

To qualify for an M1 visa, the applicant must be enrolled full-time in a vocational or non-academic education program at an approved institution in the US. Full-time study is defined as a minimum of 18 hours of study per week. Applicants are required to demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to support themselves for the duration of their course and that they intend to return to their home country upon completion of their studies.

M1 visa applicants may also be required to meet certain health and character requirements.

M1 Visa Entitlements

An M1 visa entitles the holder to undertake vocational study in the US at an accredited educational institution. An M1 visa is usually granted for the duration of the course to a maximum of one year and extensions may be granted. An M1 visa also entitles the holder to engage in practical training or related temporary employment upon completion of their course.

Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for the applicable derivative visa (M2 visa) to join their spouse or parent in the US. An accompanying spouse cannot accept employment or engage in study without obtaining an appropriate work or student visa, but accompanying children are entitled to attend primary and secondary school in the US.

To see a full listing of our fees and services, Vocational Student Visa (M-1) processing times and application costs please visit our FAQ page.