Why Us

Established in 2002, Migration Expert is a private immigration company with a team of highly experienced migration attorneys, lawyers and specialists who represent clients from across the globe wishing to apply for a US visa. Migration Expert provides fee-based services in addition to the official government charges to advise, assist and represent our clients through the often-complex visa application process. All decisions for granting of a visa remain with the US Government subject to lodging a valid application using the free forms available on the Government website and meeting the relevant criteria. Migration Expert is not affiliated with the US Government and act independent in the interests of our clients.

J1 Visa for University and College Students

J1 Visa for University and College Students

A J1 visa is a temporary student visa that allows foreign post-secondary students to study in the US through an approved, government-sponsored exchange program. Students on a J1 visa may undertake study of a degree until completion, non-degree programs or an internship that will provide credit for a degree course in their home country.

J1 Visa Requirements for University Students

To qualify for a J1 visa as a University student, the applicant must be accepted and sponsored by an organization, usually a University or College, to study a course or undertake an internship at an accredited, post-secondary academic institution in the US. To be sponsored, applicants may need to meet additional requirements, as determined by their program sponsor. Applicants are required to demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to support themselves for the duration of their course and that they intend to return to their home country upon completion of their studies.

J1 visa applicants may also be required to meet certain health and character requirements.

J1 Visa Entitlements for University Students

A J1 visa entitles the holder to participate in a University student exchange program in the US. A J1 visa for University students is usually granted for the duration of the degree program or a maximum of 2 years for non-degree programs. A J1 visa also entitles the holder to engage in part-time employment under certain conditions, including good academic standing at their school, as determined by their sponsor.

Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for the applicable derivative visa (J2 visa) to join their spouse or parent in the US. Accompanying spouses and children are entitled to study in the US and may undertake employment with an approved employment authorization.

To see a full listing of our fees and services, University/College Student Visa (J-1) processing times and application costs please visit our FAQ page.