Why Us

Established in 2002, Migration Expert is a private immigration company with a team of highly experienced migration attorneys, lawyers and specialists who represent clients from across the globe wishing to apply for a US visa. Migration Expert provides fee-based services in addition to the official government charges to advise, assist and represent our clients through the often-complex visa application process. All decisions for granting of a visa remain with the US Government subject to lodging a valid application using the free forms available on the Government website and meeting the relevant criteria. Migration Expert is not affiliated with the US Government and act independent in the interests of our clients.

F-1 Visa for Academic Studies

F-1 Visa for Academic Studies

An F1 visa is a temporary student visa that allows international students to study full-time at an accredited high school, college, university, or other academic institution. International students wishing to participate in an English language course in the US may also be eligible for an F1 visa.

F1 Visa Requirements

To qualify for an F1 visa, the applicant must be enrolled full-time in an academic or language education program at an approved school or academic institution in the US. Full-time study is defined as a minimum of 18 hours of study per week. Applicants are required to demonstrate they have sufficient funds to support themselves for the duration of their course and that they intend to return to their home country upon completion of their studies.

F1 visa applicants may also be required to meet certain health and character requirements.

F1 Visa Entitlements

An F1 visa entitles the holder to study in the US at an accredited educational institution. An F1 visa is usually granted for the duration of the course and F1 visa holders are entitled to remain in the US as long as they continue to meet their visa requirements. An F1 visa also entitles the holder to engage in limited authorized employment while in the US subject to certain restrictions.

Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for the applicable derivative visa (F2 visa) to join their spouse or parent in the US. An accompanying spouse cannot accept employment or engage in study without obtaining an appropriate work or student visa, but accompanying children are entitled to attend primary and secondary school in the US.

To see a full listing of our fees and services, Academic Student Visa (F-1) processing times and application costs please visit our FAQ page.