Providing Immigration Services since 2002
Family Visa to US
K1 Visa for Fiancé(e)s of US Citizens

Family Visa to the United States
Appoint a lawyer to represent your application for a Family Visa to the United States.
Share |

A K1 visa is a temporary family visa that allows fiancés of US citizens to come to the US to get married. Once the K1 visa has been issued and the couple have married, the foreign spouse (or K1 visa holder) is entitled to apply for a Green Card as an Immediate Relative and remain in the US while the application is processed. A K1 visa is only available to fiancés of US citizens who live outside the US.


K1 Visa Requirements

To qualify for a K1 visa, the applicant must be living outside of the US and intend to marry an US citizen within 90 days of entering the US. The US citizen and foreign fiancé must be free to marry and have met in person at least once within the previous two years, unless meeting would violate cultural practices or result in significant hardship.

K1 visa applicants may also be required to meet certain health and character requirements.


K1 Visa Entitlements

A K1 visa entitles the holder to travel to the US to marry their US fiancé. A K1 visa is only valid for 90 days and extensions cannot be granted. The K1 visa holder is required to marry their US fiancé within this 90 day period or leave the United States. Once married, the K1 visa holder is entitled to apply for a Green Card and remain in the US while the application is processed. Foreign fiancés may undertake employment in the US with an approved employment authorization.

Unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for the applicable derivative visa (K2 visa) to accompany their parent to the US for the wedding and are entitled to apply for a Green Card to become a permanent resident after the marriage.


To see a full listing of our fees and services, Fiance(e) of US Citizen (K-1) Visa processing times and application costs please visit our FAQ page.

Other Family Visas
Latest Immigration News
  • USCIS Reaches H-1B Cap
    On April 7th, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced that it received a sufficient number of H-1B petitions to reach the statutory cap of 65,000 visas for the fiscal year (FYI) 2015. USCIS also reported that that it has received more than the limit of 20,000 H-1B petitions filed under the advanced degree exemption.
  • US Visa Interview Waiver for Renewal Applications
    According to a recent press release, the US Government allows certain qualified nonimmigrant visa applicants in Bangladesh to renew their visas without an interview with a US Consular Officer.
  • US Citizenship and Immigration Services Moving Interview Process to Pittsburgh
    Applicants for US citizenship will no longer be interviewed in West Virginia. They have to travel to Pittsburgh to complete the process of obtaining citizenship.
Family Visas & Green Cards
Migration Expert US is a private immigration firm providing immigration advice & representation, and is not affiliated with the United States Government. All decisions for granting a visa remain with the relevant Government Authority subject to the applicant lodging a valid application and meeting the relevant criteria. If you do not wish to obtain immigration advice or representation you can make your application directly to relevant government authority without paying any additional fees.